Four Keys to Healthy Communication in Relationships
So, you want to be able to communicate more effectively? For healthy communication, you need to learn what it takes to be an active listener and better communicator.
Communication is one of the most important things in any relationship. You can easily improve the quality of your interactions with other people by practicing active listening and learning how to effectively communicate your needs in ways that others understand and honor.
Healthy Communication Consists of These Four Principles
There are four essential things that make communication healthy in relationships. Understanding the importance of each helps develop your skills as a good communicator. Refer to this list anytime you have questions about the communication process in the relationships you have.
- Maintain eye contact with the person you want to communicate with.
- That way, there isn’t any doubt that you’re speaking to them directly. If you’ve got their undivided attention, ask them to listen and then speak.
- Be direct and honest, but speak kindly.
- Don’t be scared to get to the point of the matter, so you’re able to address the issue. But, as best as possible, use gentle words and a gentle tone to avoid defensiveness.
- Ask for confirmation that the person understands what is being said or asked of them.
- If the person isn’t giving you verbal or non-verbal feedback, ask them directly how well they understood what you said. In the event that they didn’t, try sharing it using different (but still gentle) words. Be patient!
- Do the same thing when they’re the speaker.
- Exercise good communication skills by making eye contact with the person speaking to you, letting them know that you understand what they’re saying, and keeping the issue at hand.
These four keys help develop and promote healthier communications in relationships. It’s important that you understand your role when it comes to communicating well. In many cases, you’ll be able to voice your concerns and also feel as if you’ve been listened to and had your wishes honored.
Heart-Centered Counseling Services Help You Become a Better Communicator
Regular counseling services help strengthen your communication skills. To learn more about what Heart-Centered Counselors has to offer you, your partner, and/or your family, contact us today for a free consultation. You’ll get to meet with one of our licensed counselors either in-person or virtually and practice being a better communicator.