What Happens in Individual Counseling Sessions?
We’re glad you’re arrived here, at this page on our website. The fact that you are here is a sure sign that you’re ready to move past your current struggles.
We know it can be scary to seek out a therapist for the very first time. For some, it even feels like an admission of weakness or failure. At Heart Centered Counseling, we understand the anxiety you might be feeling. And we want to explain the process to help you feel reassured.
Together, let’s go over what happens in individual counseling sessions at Heart Centered Counseling. That way you’ll know exactly what to expect when you’re ready to start the process.
Who We Help
You might be wondering, “Can Heart Centered Counseling help me with the specific issue I’m experiencing?”
If you’re struggling with any of the following issues, Heart Centered Counseling can help:
- Depression – A consistent feeling of sadness.
- Anxiety – Bad enough to keep you from sleeping many nights.
- Substance abuse – Including overeating, alcohol, and drug abuse.
- Marital strife – For when your relationship is on the brink. (If you’d like to attend counseling alongside your partner, we have Couples Counseling available as well.)
- Parent-child conflict – When you’ve tried everything, but nothing seems to get through. We can work with individuals or with families as a whole. (See Child/Teen for more.)
- Relationship problems – A relationship you value is causing you pain on a regular basis.
- Abuse – Someone in your life hurts you, either verbally or physically.
- Traumatic events – Including divorce, the death of a loved one, or the loss of a job.
- Hurts from the past – Including rape, abuse, neglect or other issues that continue to plague you. These are often issues you’ve never spoken about to anyone.
The 3 Phases of Individual Counseling:
- 1. WELCOME
- 2. EMPOWERMENT
- 3. RESOLUTION
Phase 1: Welcome
We want to get to know you, and we want to understand your struggle.
We want you to have the chance to meet us, see our offices, and ask whatever questions you need to in order to feel comfortable.
Everything starts with your initial phone call or email (both are always confidential). This lets us know you’d like to talk to us and gets the process started.
The first step is a free initial consult, where you’ll meet with one of our counselors and explain your struggles.
Your counselor will provide a completely safe, completely confidential environment for this conversation. His or her goal will be to listen and understand; to determine the best course of action with you; and to help you feel confident in the process, explaining just how he or she will help.
Your therapist will actively seek to get to know you—including your background, struggles, and current life circumstances—over the first few sessions. You’ll feel heard and understood. You’ll feel cared for and comforted.
Phase 2: Empowerment
The empowerment phase is about learning new skills for immediate short-term relief.
Once your therapist understands your story—once he or she has gotten to know you better—the healing work begins. Your counselor will teach you powerful, simple-to-use techniques that will help you regain control of your day-to-day life.
You’ll learn how to use skills such as:
- Effective communication
- Positive life decision making
- Several other skills
Your counselor will walk you through the best techniques for your unique circumstance. In the end:
- You’ll rely on a new skill set that will help you feel whole again. (That’ll replace any old coping styles that offer escape but no real relief.)
- You’ll start feeling like you can take charge of your life again. (That’ll replace feelings of being trapped by your emotions and circumstance.)
Part 3: Resolution
Part 3 is a deeper body of work. Your counselor will help you uncover and understand the underlying causes of your distress. Together, you’ll work through these issues, bringing you relief once and for all by learning to uproot your troubles.
For many people, this means exploring:
- Early life struggles
- Relational failures
- Traumas you’ve suffered throughout your life
By working through these issues, many people find they finally experience relief from their internal struggles, once and for all.
How to Get Started
When you’re ready, you can call (970) 310-3406 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There’s no cost to call or email, and all communication between you and us is always held strictly confidential.
If you’re feeling depressed, we teach surprisingly effective treatments to help you reclaim your energy and vitality. We’ll guide you in the use of these treatments until you feel whole again. When you consistently experience negative feelings, you’ll be armed with the power to break free. When you feel yourself slide into despair, you’ll know how to stop the downward cycle and climb back out. When sadness damages your relationships, you’ll know how to reconnect and reconcile with your family and friends. Depression doesn’t have to rule your daily experience. We’ll show you how to retake control.
Anxiety can be crippling. It’s difficult to accomplish anything when your mind is overwhelmed with worry. If you’re suffering from anxiety, we can help. Our counselors teach powerful techniques you can use to calm your mind, reclaim your thoughts, and relax from your worries. When anxiety begins to overwhelm you, you’ll know how to reclaim control. When an anxiety attack begins, you’ll know exactly how to react. When anxiety interferes with sleep, you’ll be armed with skills to help you relax. We’ll teach you to remain in charge when your anxiety happens.
Many people come to us because they continue to feel distressed from deeply painful events. These can include:
- Rape or other sexual abuse
- Military combat experiences
- Physical abuse
- Verbal or psychological abuse
- Childhood abandonment or neglect
- Loss of a spouse, child, family member or close friend
- Adultery in a marriage
Whatever brings you here today, the counselors at Heart Centered Counseling are ready to help. Learn more about our Littleton office here.